Rottnest Express, as a service provider to the Rottnest Island Authority, commits to providing access and inclusion for people with all types of disability, including, but not limited to, sensory (including people who with visual and/or auditory impairments), neurological, physical (including people who are in a wheelchair or mobility scooter), cognitive, intellectual and psychiatric.
Rottnest Express does have the facilities to accommodate passengers with disabilities on our vessels, such as wheelchair use, however not on all services.
If you require special assistance when travelling with Rottnest Express, we kindly ask you to please notify us via our reservations line on 1300 467 688 during business hours before you make your booking. This allows passengers to receive the necessary service and departure terminal information. Failure to notify us of your requirements may result in the service being unavailable on arrival at the ferry terminal.
- Most voyages are wheelchair accessible from Northport Terminal, including standard and motorized wheelchairs.
- The 08:45am voyage from Perth is accessible for standard wheelchairs only. Motorized wheelchairs are unable to navigate the gangway, due to a bend in the gangway.
- B Shed voyages are not wheelchair accessible due to having to change levels within the vessel between embarkation and disembarkation. (Unless passengers are able to navigate the stairs within the vessel)
- No Rottnest Express transfer buses are wheelchair accessible. (Unless passengers are able to navigate stairs)
- Motorized wheelchairs or gophers requiring transport only can only be taken from the Northport terminal. Other terminals do not have the appropriate loading facilities.
- High tides due to bad weather may cause slight difficulty during boarding or disembarkation.
- Due to limitations when loading passengers on to the Eco Express Speed Boat, the Adventure Rottnest tour and Thrill Ride are not wheelchair accessible.
- The Discover Rottnest bus is wheelchair accessible however we ask you to please call in advance to let us know to allow seats within the bus to be removed to accommodate the wheelchair.
Prams and Wheelchair Priority Boarding:
Passengers travelling with prams or strollers are welcome on any Rottnest Express service. In most circumstances, it is possible for children travelling in a pram to remain in the pram on board the vessel, whilst there may be days where the pram may be requested to be folded and stowed securely, with the child seated with their parent or guardian. The ability to take the pram onboard the vessel will vary depending on the particular vessel in use and the capacity of the service.
When permitted onboard, prams must be able to travel along the gangway and fit through the vessel doorway. If the pram cannot fit, it must be folded and stowed securely.
To assist with passenger comfort and safety, any passengers travelling in a wheelchair or bringing a pram whether stowed, or taken onboard, will be given priority boarding and permitted onboard the vessel first.
Companion Card Holders:
The Companion Card is issued by the National Disability Services WA to people with a significant and permanent disability who require attendant care support from a companion to make use of most venues and participate in activities. Rottnest Express accepts Companion Cards to allow the companion to travel free of charge on any Rottnest Express ferry or Rottnest Express tour.
Any extras such as lunches or tours that are operated by third party operators cannot be booked through Rottnest Express. The Companion Cardholder should contact the business direct to enquire if they accept Companion Cards.
- Companion cardholders call 1300 467 688 and simply advise that they are companion cardholders.
- On the day of travel present your companion card to our reservations team at your chosen departure terminal ticket office to collect your boarding passes.
Service Dog Assistance:
A Service Dog is trained to provide assistance to a person with a disability. Service Dogs include Guide Dogs, Hearing Dogs and Assistance Dogs. Service dogs travel free of charge on all Rottnest Express services however as Rottnest Island is an A Class reserve you should contact the Rangers on Rottnest (08) 9372 9788 to advise them of the service dog.